[g8-sheffield] conspiracy theories

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:42:07 BST 2005

That is hardly a compelling evidence that they are not true. The
defining characteristic of a conspiracy theory is rather that it accuses
either government or an equivalently powerful grouping of being involved
(of conspiring) in actions which they publicly deny.

An accusation by government against al Qaeda would not be a conspiracy
theory even if al Qaeda were to deny responsibility, because they are
manifestly less powerful.

Having said that, I think that it is best as a first point of reference
to assume that Occam's Razor holds in any given scenario - the simplest
explanation which deals with all the facts is the correct one.

Chris