[g8-sheffield] *warning* laptop seized by MI5, returned with hard drive wiped clean]

adriana hjdsmdr at mixmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:35:28 BST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [G8arrestsupport] *warning* laptop seized by MI5,	returned with
hard drive wiped clean
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:58:37 -0000
From: <louise at redbricks.org.uk>
To: <G8arrestsupport at lists.aktivix.org>

* BTW, what's the score?  Is information relating to seizure of
equipment [computers/mobiles/PDAs] going to be provided on those
notices for the back of doors at convergences?  As to warrants
required?  What can be seized, what can't be seized? *

I went to an event last night of a group that's currently touring
the country. I was told by someone currently 'attached' to the
group for the purposes of research into non-violent direct action
that they had recently had their laptop seized by MI5.  And when
the laptop was returned, the hard drive had been wiped clean.

So be warned.

If you have any important data on your PC or laptop that you
wouldn't want to lose, make sure it's backed up somewhere else (and
maybe not your house if 'visits' are being made, consider more
secure locations), as if your equipment gets seized the data may be
wiped.

So if you have an almost complete thesis or the book you've been
writing for the past five years or whatever is in there, or it's
your only database with all your friends and rellies contact
details in it, then back it up or you could lose the data for
good.

And as to information that you wouldn't want seizing, remember,
even if you delete stuff, the data is still retrievable.

It may be worth exploring getting a new, clean hard drive and
swapping them out for the duration, just in case - if anyone wants
to explore that but doesn't know how to go about it and doesn't
know anyone who can help, let me know.  I don't know how to do it
either, but I can probably find some geeky bods who do.

This mainly applies to people who are bringing along computer
equipment, but anyone who thinks they may be 'visited' at home may
wish to bear this in mind as well.

http://www.sheffield.dissent.org.uk/
http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/G8