[g8-sheffield] America is a nation at war...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Mar 29 00:22:09 BST 2005

As of March 2005, apparently.

Who, exactly, are they at war /with/?

"America is a nation at war. We face a diverse set of security
challenges. Yet, we still live in an era of advantage and opportunity.

The National Defense Strategy outlines an active, layered approach to
the defense of the nation and its interests. It seeks to create
conditions conducive to respect for the sovereignty of nations and a
secure international order favorable to freedom, democracy, and economic
opportunity. This strategy promotes close cooperation with others around
the world who are committed to these goals. It addresses mature and
emerging threats."

http://globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/dod/nds-usa_mar2005_sum.htm

And here's the definition of 'problem states'.  Sound familiar?

"Problem states will continue to undermine regional stability and
threaten U.S. interests. These states are hostile to U.S. principles.
They commonly squander their resources to benefit ruling elites, their
armed forces, or extremist clients. They often disregard international
law and violate international agreements. Problem states may seek WMD or
other destabilizing military capabilities. Some support terrorist
activities, including by giving terrorists safe haven."

Dan