[matilda] Re: crime and punishment

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Thu Dec 8 14:37:49 GMT 2005

> By invoking the idea of punishment you are already replicating the
> problems of mainstream society.

But there was an agreed means of dealing with trouble at Matilda. It's not
about punishment but about saying "If you do something shit then you lose
the right to use the space, at least until things have calmed down or have
been resolved"

> I also think to blame two people for the problems of Matilda is
> pathetic and dishonest. The word for it is 'scapegoating'.

But the blame has to rest somewhere, otherwise we can all just blame our
parents who can blame theirs and then we can do as we will and stuff
accepting our responsibility. Yes we are all responsible for situations and
resolutions have to involve everyone. But violence cannot be condoned by
inaction and the final responsbility must rest with individuals.

> It seems to me there are two things that need sorting out. Firstly the
> problems of meetings, communication and decision making. These are key
> for all relationships between people. How these are carried out will
> affect everyone so we all need to discuss them.

Agreed.

> Secondly there is obviously some personal issues between some people.
> These only affect those involved and they are not everyone else's
> business. I think it is primarily for those involved to sort these out
> how they want to though sometimes some impartial mediation is helpful.

Again agreed, however saying that something is a 'personal issue' should not
be an excuse to avoid confronting actions outside of what is acceptable.
There lies many a victim of domestic violence who was not anyone's
"business".

There is obviously much to be sorted out and I haven't got a clue about the
situation of this, there does need to be a level playing field tho'.

Peace and warm things,

Jason