Mailtda's non-commercial use clause, was: Re: [matilda] crisisof consensus

Joe Morris malatesta_uk at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:28:54 GMT 2005

>>I'm not convinced that a non-commercial clause is appropriate in the
>>context of using Matilda as >>an art space

Why?

>>it rather begs the question of how and whether we expect our artists to
>>actually make any >>money.

Do artists paint because they enjoy painting or because they want to make
money out of it? The bands who come and put on DIY gigs do so because of
their love for what they do, not because of some desire to make money. Why
is that different? They still survive and could quite easily argue the
poverty line, which was used last night.

If people want to be "professional" artists, then fine, but I don't think
Matilda as the space it is now, especially because of how it came about, is
a place where the facilitation of that should happen.

If artists want to make money, then they are more than free to take their
paintings and sell them to people who want to buy them, but I don't see why
the space has to compromise further to accommodate that.

>>Also, given that the LTT is a commercially driven type, a non-commercial
>>clause would sound slightly hypocritical.

Unfortunately people have had to make a compromise on that in order to use
the space, but I don't think that makes peoples opinions or our desires for
the space any less consistent. LTT has a studio that is profit making. I
wholly disagree with that on principle and always have. I have never said
otherwise. However, in order to use Matilda and create what we are creating
that is a compromise I am willing to make.

Just because LTT is there I don't think that suddenly creates a basis for
having other commercial things in the space or somehow negates the
anti-commercial argument.

Joe