[matilda] the PGA - my little bit

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 18:27:33 BST 2005

I don't disagree with PGA hallmarks. They encompass my political
beliefs and I have been involved with other PGA groups like RtS,
Dissent and the general anticapitist movement that was first
recognised in 1999.

I tried to get them adopted for Sheffield Social Forum, without
success.

However...

 ...my understanding of them seems different from others. I understand
them as an attempt to describe the types of action an activist group
or network may take.

Since Matilda is not such a group they simply do not seem appropriate
to me here. We can't say the types of action we tend to do are
confrontational or even anticapitalist since, so far, we haven't done
any actions. Unless of course you include film nights or parties - but
these are certainly not confrontational.

Secondy it was suggested that if we adopt them it can stop things like
capitalist enterprises setting up in the building. This is another
misunderstanding. The PGA hallmarks are not rules. They are not
prohibiting anything. They are simply a way of trying describe the
kind of way a group that work within, or feel affiliated to, the PGA
network.

Thirdly it has been suggested that the LBGT are invited in. Well it is
extremely unlikely that all of these folk will be anticapitalist or
even political. So what happens if they want to become part of
Matilda?

A QUICK AND SIMPLE SOLUTION

I suggested this before but there was not much debate. Basically those
that want to should form a seperate PGA group within Matilda and let
those who want to get involved sign up to the guidelines.

This would:

1. end the neverending debate which will never reach consensus

2. not alienate anyone so far involved (or the future)

3. create a group that actually does do actions (hopefully)

4. allow those unsure about the PGA hallmarks to watch from the
sidelines before choosing (or not) to get involved.

cheers

steve