[matilda] Urban Decay???

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 18:49:22 BST 2005

I just read this on Indymedia...

  The theme for the exhibition will be Urban Decay, which is a direct
  response to the Matilda building and its location, an old Victorian
  factory in the heart of a newly developed city centre. The
  exhibition will be a selection of work that addresses the theme of
  Urban Decay while the display of the art will work in such a way as
  to create a dialogue with the audience about the Invasion of Space.

http://indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2005/10/325230.html

It seems unwise to think about Matilda as an example of urban decay.
Surely this will only hasten it's demise. If it's decaying then
logically lets get rid of it ASAP and build something nice and new and
shiny.

This is the opposite of how we should portray it if we want to hold on
to it for as long as possible.

I haven't, up to now at least, thought of Matilda in terms of decay. I
think of it as vibrant, radical, exciting new non-corporate entity.

Can we change it? Maybe the corporate invasion of public space would
be more appropriate?

steve

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk