[matilda] What becomes of social centres...

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Tue Sep 20 16:03:35 BST 2005

Hi

I was just looking at the social cantres page on the
Wikipedia (which doesn't have much on it):

  Social Centers are squatted buildings, mostly in Europe,
  which have been made into organizing centers for
  community support networks and structures such as free
  kitchens, free shops, public computer labs, graffiti
  murals, free housing for activists and travelers,
  recreation, public meetings, legal collectives, and
  spaces for dances, performances and art exhibitions.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_centers

And I followed a link to this Italian page about social
centres in Rome, which I though had some food for thought
on it about what has happened to various centres in Rome:

  In all these years of history of Socials Centers/Squats
  in Rome the roads have been many and the directions
  taken have been inevitably different. So in the list
  below there are many which have now become fashionable
  clubs even with multinational corporate sponsors :-)
  others that have lost down the road self organization,
  independant production and even cooperate and get funded
  from municipality of Rome, others transformed in places
  of / for political parties, others that have become
  internationaly famouse, others have stuck to the
  neighbourhood , and who keeps its original spirit, etc.
  Which of these roads is or will be the one to follow can
  only be confirmed by history...however as usual think
  with your brain and figure it out by your own.

  http://www.tmcrew.org/csa/csa_en.htm

We seem to be at a stage where we need to decide which road
we want to head down...

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World