[matilda] Re: Defilding Matina

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Wed Sep 21 13:45:47 BST 2005

I agree with Chris that there is no point having these statements if they
are not going to be stuck to. There does seem to a movement to try and do
too much with this definition stuff. I like the visions and introductions
that have been laid out but wouldn't expect myself to sign up to them
anymore than I expect to sign up to the glossy brochure advertising where I
work. There is a rule and an ethos about where I work, but that is not
'selling' the service. I think there are many ways to present and promote
Matilda because the space will (hopefully) be different things to different
people. I don't think we all have to agree how to do that because I don't
think that will happen.

I had hoped that the guiding statement be rather short and general.
Concentrating on particular structures or prejudices both limits our
perception of the space and other people's. I would suggest, in absolute
entirity, something like:

Rejection of all social and economic structures that exploit, repress and
dehumanise us;

Rejection of the prejudices which distort our vision, supporting equality of
freedom for all people;

Sharing the power that we have amongst everyone so that we all have the
ability to play a part in creating the lives we want to live;

Taking action to make alternatives happen rather than waiting for the
powerful to do something.

If a short set of rules are the guiding statements for Matilda then I do not
see the problem. For instance a party should be part of sharing out power,
or taking action, and so on. A party in the interests of funding Matilda
would do that, but too many parties would place the space at risk, or take
away the priority from activities to acheive these aims directly. Direct
action in all its forms would be fine, but violent direct action would come
up against the power principle, it would mean a lot of thought about where
actions were placed in the structure, but a lot of thought should be given
to such things.

In other words, there is a risk of being too prescriptive and coming up with
a statement which is redundant at the next meeting, or bangs its head
against hard reality. Something short and to the point could act as a
reminder, a guidance for actions acceptable in the space, without being
arbitrarily limiting or off-putting to people. Much of what happens in the
space will still have to be negotiated, the definition should just be there
to help.

Jason

Chris Malins writes:

Just a thought. An email a little while ago (I forget who from) suggested
that although the World Bank claims 'Our dream is a world without poverty'
and is manifestly not contributing to such a world, the existence of
hypocrisy in the mission statements of other bodies is not a reason for
Matilda not to have a mission statement. The PGA hallmarks are quite a
profound statement of intent, which I find exciting but also am not
convinced match the vision and future of Matilda.
We have to decide whether we are going to force the arch-capitalists like D
amongst us into being part of the same type of hypocrisy we have decried in
the World Bank - there has certainly been the implication that we should
expect those who disagree with PGA to graciously accept it. Or
alternatively, whether we are going to make our commitment to the PGA
hallmarks a genuinely profound one, and start to really look at what Matilda
is being used for, with an aim to cropping out such activities as are
irrelevant or contrary to the PGA hallmarks. Personally, I think that if
Matilda is to have a mission statement, it should be something that we act
by, rather than a glossy cover note to put on the internet and impress the
rest of the movement. But a genuinely meaningful statement of intent is
bound to question the relationship between the artistic and radical intent
of the building, and my understanding has always been that (although likely
to be moderately self-selecting) there was no requirement on artists asking
for space that their work or intent should coincide with other members'
political aims.

The long and short of it is that we should ask ourselves, 'Will the PGA
Hallmarks change how we act', and if we say no, then we are as hypocritical
as the WB if we adopt them.

Chris

gavin at cyber-rights.net wrote:

"No, exactly: my point was that, given the perceptions of direct action
withinand without the movement, we could do with articulating what *our*
vision of direct action is.  E.g. by saying things like "it can include
writing your own news stories, about what's going on in your community.""
I hope my point about matilda BEING direct action goes some way towards
this. I think our presentation of 'what we are' should include this kind of
'friendly' definition, but can do that by saying matilda is direct action
(maybe 'direct community action'?), and then defining it in terms like I
gave?

At the same time, I think it's important not to get too bound up with
responding to the mass media's sterotypes of the brick through the window,
otherwise they've got us playing their game...dancing to their tune and
obsessed with defending ourselves instead of just SHOWING how we're not
simply like that by acting positively in our local community, which will
have a greater effect in demonstrating the essential human decency of direct
action.

xxx