[matilda] 6am etc etc late events etc etc

Jez Dean red_nabu at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 10:07:35 GMT 2006

Hello,
  Right, first off I would like to state that I, unlike others, do not endlessly mail this list creating nothing but over stuffed in-boxes. This should be an indication of the degree of emotion that the last few posts on this topic has evoked.
   I will start by setting out my stall, I would like to re-iterate the point that prominent members of the gig collective have stated, that it is, and should be the case that events finish at midnight and once a month an event is allowed to run on until 2am.
   I do not feel it is necessary or at all desirable that any event should go on 'till 6am, for various reasons, firstly being that it is far to much to ask of people to work these events for such a long time, considering the fact that it is always the same old faces who are burdened with these tasks. And yes these people are not obliged to do this, but it is simply that there are not enough other people coming forward to facilitate the smooth running of events. It's all very well signing up on a rota and doing an hours stint and then disappearing, but some of us realise that there is far more that needs to be done and that just doesn't cut it.

   You may well argue that someone putting on an event could bring all their own people to cover the bar and door, but this I feel would still necessitate Matilda people being there to make sure that the building is left secure and in good order, this is in no way to cast aspersions on anyone who might wish to run an event, but how could they ever be expected to care for the building as much as someone who has spent countless hours trying to breathe life back into it?.

   Also any real damage to the building or people has happened when events have gone on into the small hours, Steve you seem to be suffering from some sort of myopia when it comes to the negatives that have occurred, namely personal injury, the police, the repeated repelling of undesirable elements at the gate, damage to the building and general mess that is not dealt with after late events.

    All the positive points that you have stated are great, but they can all be achieved at an event with an earlier finish, which I would whole heartily support. It is also farcical to equate the slightly late, convivial drinking sessions after some socials, with late night 'Banging' parties, the numbers, and who all the people are, are in an entirely different league, with a far higher chance of negative things occurring with the latter.

  After all I've said I hope this event will go ahead, with an earlier finish time. The people who proposed this event should not feel that I am against them in any way, and I warmly welcome them to Matilda, this is merely an issue that existing members have to contend with.

  Sorry for the length, warm regards,
   Jez.

  I would like to point out to people that there was an
agreement that the gig space collective brought to the
collective meeting some time ago regarding the last 3
late events that we did.

Due to police interest the whole of matilda agreed
that there would be no more all night parties. It was
also proposed by the gig space that events would
strictly finish at midnight with one event allowed per
month to go on until 2am.

UNTIL THESE DECISIONS MADE AT THE MEETING ARE REPEALED
THEN THAT IS THE SITUATION WE HAVE AT MATILDA.