[matilda] collectives

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 01:49:36 GMT 2006

Chad> Why should anyone have to be part of a collective?

Good question. As I understand it you have to be part of a collective
to take part of the Monday meetings though I'm not sure why that is.

Chad> Who controls the building and by what authority?

Those who want to get involved control it. I guess the authority would
be that of occupation. We're making use of it and looking after it.

Chad> The Matilda has become an oppressive institution run by
Chad> bickering white middle class pseudo-intellectuals.

Harsh words. There is a very positive side too though.

Chad>  A recreational protest lifestyle seems to be what the Matilda
Chad> is about.

Well I don't think there's much wrong with that - though to be fair
we're not doing much protesting, except to each other.

Chad> It's always so right-on, so alternative. It supposedly
Chad> tries to be inclusive. The Matilda is not inclusive. Whether by
Chad> accident or design the Matilda excludes people who aren't from
Chad> an affluent background.

Well inclusivity was one of the topics that never really got resolved
at the Monday meetings. I think a lot of problems stem from those
meetings and I'll write something about that later.

Chad> No doubt there will be a suitably pompous response to this
Chad> email.

Whatever.

Chad> chad

Basically Matilda is a social experiment. In experiments you get
things wrong and hopefully learn to do them better. We've got quite a
lot of things wrong and are working at changing them all the time.

Apart from slagging it all off have you got any suggestions of how we
might improve things Chad?

steve