[pagan-magik] G8 - Macbeth ritual

Adrian Harris adrian at gn.apc.org
Mon Apr 18 10:46:33 BST 2005

Hi Sylvia,

the Macbeth theme is definitely floating about in G8 discussions. I've
already heard rumours that the Birnam Wood may march again...

At 07:06 PM 17/04/05 +0000, you wrote:
>Any more ideas?

Perhaps adapt Lady Macbeth as the G8:

"Out, damned spot! Out I say!...What need we fear who knows it, when none
can call our power to account?...Here's the smell of the blood still: all
the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand."
Act v. Sc. i

Witches, morally corrupt leaders, murder  illusion and deceit - The play is
almost too perfect! I especially like the reference to Arabia....

Though She is somewhat misrepresented (IMO), Hekate makes an appearance, so
She should certainly be invited to the party.

If we wanted to get deeper, we might draw out the philosophical dimensions
of the play as it exposes the emptiness of a life of consumerism:

"To-morrow, and to-morrow and to-morrow, /Creeps in this petty pace from
day to day, /To the last syllable of recorded time;...
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player /That struts and frets his hour
upon the stage/And then is heard no more: it is a tale/Told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury, /Signifying nothing."
Act v Sc. vi.

On a more obvious notes we could have a poster of Bush with that last line ;-)

So, I'm well up for it!

Adrian