[Ssf] Oh shit

noone noone machinevman at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:32:09 GMT 2004

Out of the ashes of defeat the seeds for victory in the future are planted:

Superstar Obama wins Senate seat
November 3, 2004

Chicago: Barack Obama, the son of a Kenyan father and an American mother who
shot from obscurity to political stardom in mere months, trounced Republican
Alan Keyes to claim a Senate seat in Illinois.

He will be just the third black US senator since the post-Civil War
Reconstruction era.

The resounding victory is the latest stride forward for a man who grew up on
the beaches of Hawaii and the streets of Indonesia barely knowing his
father, but has gone on to become a linchpin of the Democratic Party's
future.

"What we have shown is that all of us can disagree without being
disagreeable - that we can set aside the scorched-earth politics, the
slash-and-burn politics of the past," Obama said at a victory celebration
last night.

He acknowledged, though, that "I am under no illusion that we come out of
this assuming that all people throughout the state of Illinois agree with me
on every single position".

Obama gave the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention this
year, delivering a message of national unity in a stirring speech that made
him an overnight political sensation.

National news shows and magazines profiled him, and the 43-year-old state
senator from Chicago became a top draw for other Democrats' campaigns
nationwide.

Obama will replace Republican Senator Peter Fitzgerald, who declined to run
for a second term.

Keyes, a conservative Maryland resident and two-time presidential candidate,
is also black. It was the first US Senate election in history in which two
black candidates represented the major parties.

Keyes, 54, focused his campaign on morality and argued that abortion and
homosexuality threaten the country.

Obama had no difficulty in dispatching Keyes, whose views earned the disdain
of some members of his own party.

Keyes quickly demonstrated a willingness to say whatever was on his mind. He
said homosexuals, including Vice-President Dick Cheney's daughter, are
"selfish hedonists". He argued that Jesus would not vote for Obama.

Before entering politics, Obama was the first black president of the
prestigious Harvard Law Review and was also a civil rights lawyer in
Chicago.

The US has had four black senators in its history and two since the 1865-77
Reconstruction era.

This may have been a victory for the short sighted bigotry of the republican
party and a defeat for the short sighted opportunism of john kerry but maybe
this election will be known for the election of someone who is probably the
future of the democratic party.

Or maybe this defeat for the democratic party serves them right for choosing
a candidate that has nothing in common with the people he is trying to apeal
to...