[ssf] Freedom of everything except people

Chris Malins c.malins at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 13:45:59 GMT 2005

The last two paragraphs here are explosive, in a way. Of course, it will
go virtually without comment. It is incredible that while insisting on
letting capital flow without restriction across borders, and taking as
read of course that US citizens should have virtually unrestricted
access to cross border travel for business or pleasure, the US should
unilaterally refuse to enter negotiation on facilitating cross border
movement of persons who might be considered 'immigrants'.

As normal this highlights that when the rich nations talk about trade
liberalisation and the inevitable benefits it will bring, there is no
possibility whatsoever of the sorts of liberalisation which could really
benefit poor countries and allow their economies to become more
competitive. In particular, the comment that countries that send
professionals abroad are losing talent is incredible. The clear message
is that talented people wherever they come from are only permitted to
work for American interests, and that the brain drain of the poor
nations cannot be liberalised in case the market sent the odd brain back
the other way.

``By July, we must be able to judge across the board whether we are on
course for a significant outcome for Hong Kong,'' WTO Director-General
Supachai Panitchpakdi said on Feb. 14.

With an end-May deadline for new offers to open competition in services
looming, and decisions still pending on whether measures for protecting
domestic service industries are needed and how to cut goods duties, many
of the most intractable problems remain unresolved.

``It's not rocket science,'' said Don Stephenson, Canada's ambassador to
the WTO. ``It's a well-worn process. Once we agree to agree, once we have
a consensus, we can move forward. We're all trying to move to the next
step, the real negotiations.''

Still, the U.S is resisting calls in the services talks, championed by
India, to allow companies in industries such as computing, banking or
engineering to post their workers or sign temporary contracts with
foreign professionals.

``This is a difficult issue for us because it has a bearing on
immigration,'' Allgeier, deputy U.S. Trade Representative, said.
``Sensitivities have increased because of
the security situation'' and countries that send professionals abroad
``are losing talent.''