[ssf] It's getting late...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Feb 23 22:04:58 GMT 2005

It's getting late.  The syllogism of capital is beginning to whisper in
my ear...

1. Markets are nature - we have to release the power of markets, strip
away the barriers to its natural functioning

As in:

"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr.  Beale, and I
won't have it, is that clear?! You think you have merely stopped a
business deal -- that is not the case! The Arabs have taken billions of
dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back.  It is ebb
and flow, tidal gravity, it is ecological balance! You are an old man
who thinks in terms of nations and peoples.  There are no nations! There
are no peoples!...  There is only one holistic system of systems, one
vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multi-variate, multi-national
dominion of dollars! Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars!,
Reichmarks, rubles, rin, pounds and shekels! It is the international
system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet!
That is the natural order of things today! That is the atomic, subatomic
and galactic structure of things today! And you have meddled with the
primal forces of nature, and you will atone!"

(from Network - 1976.  Perhaps we should have a film showing for this,
if no-one's seen it.  As long as we pay the company...)

2. "When a person is under the impersonal coercion of Nature, we say
that he is free." (Spencer)

3. Therefore, we are all free under one market.  And the more our lives
are commodified, the freer we will become.  Ain't it a beautiful vision?

See ya

Dan