[AktiviX] pine/imap

Josh Robinson jmr59 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 6 22:48:01 UTC 2003

as i understand it, an imap connection means that the messages you send
and receive remain on the server instead of being downloaded, so you can
access them from anywhere. it differs in this way from pop, which (i
think) moves messages from the server to one's hard drive, deleting them
in the process.

as for pine, it's wonderful! i've not used riseup, but assume that it's
fairly similar on other servers. basically, you can't use a mouse, and
hte keyboard is used for all navigation. this means that the commands
differ depending on whether you're navigating through folders,
navigating the help pages or composing a message (when each letter-key
corresponds to a letter).

when not composing, c will compose a new message for you, i will take
you to the current folder (index), l to the list of folders, a to your
address-book, s (setup) to teh various options screens, and q to quit.

when composing, ctrl+x sends, ctrl+c cancels, ctrl+o postpones, ctrl+k
cuts a line of text (many commands are similar to emacs), ctrl+u
undeletes. ctrl+g gets help, which is generally context-specific,
depending on where the cursor is.

when in help, e gets you out again. in all cases, the main commands are
at the bottom of the screen, and more can be found by accessing the help
screen.

oh, and PINE stands for Pine is not Elm.

hope that's vaguely useful - let me know if you've got any more
queries...