[AktiviX] The Art of Unix Programming

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Dec 17 22:38:24 UTC 2003

Apologies if this is an eggsucking grandma post

Eric Raymond, the author of much Gnu and Open source software
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_S._Raymond, has released his latest book
'the art of unix programming' on the web ..
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/

It rocks .. I've just read the half the first chapter and had a 1/2 bottle of
wine, whilst listening to trollyd  - http://www.burngreave.net/~trollyd -
beatz not bombz 1 mp3 -
http://ftp.radio4all.net/pub/archive/03.28.03/bnb01.mp3 , and I'm going to
rewrite all my work code (caveat  - windows stuff, and I'm a piss poor coder)
around the unix philosophy
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html

The history stuff is pretty interesting also, and when he compares the other
operating systems he dosn't like windows!.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch03s02.html#nt_contrast

especially the centralising function of the registry.

you could also read the unix haters handbook
http://www.burngreave.net/~aland/it/linux/uhh.pdf  for a an alternative
alternative laugh

I guess it also applies to that revolutionary organisation too,   Get a strong
cell system going, keep it simple, expect to work with others, get a big
organisation only when it is clear by demonstration that nothing else will
do...

'kin trotskymaxistleniniststalinistmaoistblairdimwits ..  where's me kroneing
tool

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla
 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality