[AktiviX] Should we use Linux at all?

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 22:16:22 UTC 2004

Some points:
1) The military can develop systems with or without using Linux. The
military budget is virtually bottomless.
2) Military research has lent development to emancipatory technologies
such as the Internet.

Given this, leveraging military spending to further Linux as an
emancipatory technology is a relatively good way of spending money
already earmarked for the military.

It would be better if the military budgets were much smaller and the
money put directly to good use, but this requires political effort.

Aiming to stop the military from using open software technologies is
certainly the wrong way to counter colonialism. Everyone can freely
benefit from improvements to the system made as a result of military
dollars spent on Linux system development.