[AktiviX] Should we use Linux at all?

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 07:52:01 UTC 2004

Alan Dawson wrote:

> With respect to LUG's perhaps a gentle push towards open methods of organisation
> and decision making can help?  My worst experience of LUG's is that they have a
> tenous collectivity based around 'otherness' of Linux.

In so doing, tend to forget the structures which make their namesake
free software program (Linux) powerful (i.e. the GNU GPL).

> Often there  dicussion
> fora are managed by a l33t godking who can kick or ban participants who have
> different opnions in  firewall rulesets or RFC compliance.  At their best LUG's
> provide an invaluable resource showing the quality of open source and easing
> people away from bill hates nanny state.  As Linux moves mainstream the LUG's
> will change, but will they become the IBM / SUN / Novell knowledge base, or
> will the ability to fork ( arguably the real power of open source) move into
> mainstream conciousness ?

In most LUGs, this isn't apparent on the surface. However, political
discussion withers in a controlled speech environment. The control is
not always apparent.

Could this explain a tendency for LUGs to be apolitical, focussing on
the practical short-term personal benefits rather than considering and
discussing wider socio-economic issues?

Or is it simply that the otherness of 'Linux' and 'open source' does not
carry with it a strong political dimension (Linus presents himself as
apolitical)

The threats from software patents and SCO are slowly increasing the
level of political awareness in LUGs but LUG structures may not be
conducive to good political debate.