[AktiviX-discuss] [Fwd: Re: comienzos de sindomino.. infos], translated

ana ana at aktivix.org
Sun Aug 1 21:26:54 UTC 2004

Hi people,

not sure if you worry about the maintenance of the server we're thinking
of, and i'm not sure if we've got an update on that?? but here is what
marais, from sindominio, told me:

> lo del servidor no es mala idea pero gratis o hay nada en la vida...

the server is not a bad idea but nothing is free in this life..

la máquina la compramos con el dinero dela gente que empezamos el
proyecto y cada uno puso lo que buenamente pudo. Tampoco la inversión
fue tan grande (los discos duros no cuestan tanto!!!) y la "máquina" en
realidad es un ordenador bastante normalito..

we bought the machine with money from us people who started off the
project and each person put whatever we could afford. the investment was
not that big anyway (hard drive are not taht expensive!!!) and the
'machine' is really a quite normal computer...

In sindominio we function with money donations from every one involved.
when there is little money left in the box we shout a call in the list
and we always gather whatever we need in a short period of time, but
there is no control over who puts or doesn't put, nor about the
quantity. In the beginning we suggested to put about 30 euros a year,
but as i said people have responded really well when there has been the
need. it is a kind of autorregulation.

In any case i think the concept is different. Sindominio does not give
services to anyone, it is an auto-managed server where there is no space
to complain, and there is no concept of giving services. To get involved
you need to introduce yourself in the asembly [from me ana: i think shes
referring to the list, as they call it the 'virtual assembly], and get
support [from people already inside] and get no objections. In the
introduction you must give the reasons why you want to join and what you
are going to give to the project and why you think you'll fit there.

The expense is because of the bandwidth of course. Right now there are
two machines staying in barcelona and the hosting is costing us 178
euros a month I think (very little!!!).

---------

Hope this is useful

ana