[AktiviX-discuss] Domain name

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Wed Dec 8 18:08:36 UTC 2004

Dan wrote:

> I was just about to register a domain name, and just wanted to ask: is
> there actually any difference between the company I choose to do the
> registering with?

Yes, there are many differences. I am just having to pay a break out fee
on a domain because someone did not read/think about small print and
there is little flexibility on existing setup.

I use
http://joker.com  for raw Top Level Domains names. Many companies resell
from such registrars, you are cutting out middle person.

note these are raw domains with no hosting. You just point them at the
server with vhost for them, or use more cruder redirect.

For .uk ones I use Just The Name they are not the cheapest but I like
there control panel and flexiablity of it. And they have acted well when
copyright complaints have gone to them, it they just passed on to me.

Also if you start a search via JTN get a domain form at:

http://bunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

then Autonomous Centre get's a pound from the cost, but I would
recommend them myself anyway.

> If so, who should I be going for?  It's for a worker's co-op.

You can get .coop domain name only poptel sell these. You don't have to
be an IPS but just a Limited Co with co-op clauses will do, but they do
cost more. But they have friendly staff on phone.

http://www.coop

btw I bought for aktivix the domain names activix.org and org.uk
versions, which redirect at moment,
as I think people are and will mis type it that way many times.
I should see about seting lists.activix.org to point to existing server
and get bone to set up vhost.

any renewal fees I hope will come out of (yet to exist) aktivix funds.

Also be aware the info you give them about domain owner can be public.
So buy in name of people who domain is for.

cheers,

Space Bunny

http://j12.org/sb/