[AktiviX] laptop with no hard-disc and remote access

max max at tofubandits.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 13:26:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 11 Feb 2004 1:20 pm, Josh Robinson wrote:
> thanks: the plan was to run my desktop (running debian) as the server,
> and then use the laptop as a client across the university ethernet. is
sounds like a bit of a waste of laptop. an x-terminal doesn't need any real
power or ram - a pentium 1 is perfect. your laptop sounds fairly decent, so
it's prob worth trying ebay etc to get a second hand harddisk...

> it possible then to write to the hard disk of the server in any way? or
> have i grossly misunderstood something here? - i vaguely remember
> hearing something about 'diskless terminals'...
yes - that's the beauty of x-terminals. all the work is done on the server, so
if you save sth, it's saved on the server, not the computer in front of you.

you should also think about security - using the normal X -query <ipaddress>
thing as described on seedsforchange.org.uk/res/term.html would allow anyone
on the network to snoop. you could just ssh from your laptop into your server
and start an X-session, or just individual programmes (like openoffice or
whatever). this would be safe.

if this doesn't make sense then please ask...

max