[AktiviX] Free Software Act, Strategy and the problem of 'Monoculture'

ana anap at riseup.net
Wed Feb 18 15:03:20 UTC 2004

Hey, thanks for these links,

I'm preparing an essay on Free Software, for uni. i have downloaded most
of the Free Software Foundation's articles, would any one like to suggest
any other text on a subject that may not be included there, or you would
like to write/talk to me??

I might put it up on some website when it's finished...

ana-london

> An exchange on the intersections of political strategy and free
> software. Reflection on an article published in Wired:
> http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,62307,00.html/wn_ascii
>
> Relevant also, perhaps, for http://freesoftwareact.fsc.cc
>

> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 02:55, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>> We must be careful. By calling Microsoft a 'monoculture', we demean what
>> we do by saying we do not exist.
>
> FOR ARGUMENT'S SAKE:
>
> This is a particular kind of reasoning which has its advantages, but
> which also has a conceptual problem: the idea of monoculture is a very
> serious issue in terms of agriculture and that is whence it is
> metaphorically borrowed in this context.
>
> Now, does that mean that saying that industrial agriculture is a
> monoculture amounts to a denigration of bio-dynamic-organic-ecological
> farming practices? I don't think so, in fact it would appear, I believe,
> that the term monoculture has been very instrumental in the
> environmental movement's efforts to bring happy vegetables to the
> mainstream consumer's supermarkets (in Northern Europe, at least).
>
> In other words, this is not about reason or wrong and right, but about
> strategy. The term monoculture carries with it a lot of connotations
> that can help people who are NOT so knowledgable about the software
> industry to better understand the issues at hand.
>
> In strategical terms there is possibly no better term to complement
> monoculture than diversity, and that is what we offer. Hence the Free
> Software Act is structurally analogous to the Convention on
> Biodiversity. I think that it can indeed be helpful to 'know thy enemy',
> whether it is Monsanto or Microsoft.
>
> We can of course discuss whether the environmental movement has been or
> will be successful or not, but what I generally want to say with this
> email is that there is one particular aspect from which the free
> software movement can learn: the political strategies that has emerged
> as a consequence of grass-roots struggles (- as a collaboratively
> created set of knowledge(s)-,)
>
> Any movement has a history, but few movements has as short a history as
> the free software movement, simply because software is almost of
> yesterday. In those histories lessons are to be found.
>
> If you ask me, but why would you?, I would say that monoculture is a
> great term to carry the message, to designate/indicate what the obstacle
> to our diverse culture is. A very simple aciton pkan could look like
> this:
>
> Step 1: Identify problem (proprietary software)
>
> Step 2: Conceptualise problem (monoculture)
>
> Step 3: Conceptualise solution (diversity)
>
> Step 4: Provide solution (FS ACT / political economy of free software)
>
> I am not sure whether this is resonating with anyone, but I would like
> to continue to discuss these issues. There is a mailinglist for such
> political/strategical discussion:
> CC'ed - and also to RMS.

> [...]

ana