Marxists and Anarchists, was: Re: [AktiviX] Reading on politics of free software

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Wed Jan 21 17:33:32 UTC 2004

I am quite a supporter of the Free Software movement. Good to see Asa's
essay pitching the movement to anarchos. As I am replying to  email that
was cross posted to the oekonux list I am cc:ing this there. I just
subbed there and had  brief look at archived and am a bit in awe at
level of some of contributions. And was even going to hold back chucking
in my musing but I though what the heck. So here they are some thoughts
on how I feel when it come to being a movement to bring about a new
society the free software movement throws up some contradictions.

cc at riseup.net wrote:

>The free software mode of production is something that
>has come about within capitalism (of course), it does work
>within capitalism but I don't understand why you think
>that this mode of production cannot be applied generally.
>
>Why can't it 'infect' the whole system?

One thing that strikes me is that because free software function in the
eco-system of capitalism where one is forced to sells one labour the
freedom afforded by free software is granted in the main to those with
power to purchase labour. There is great hopes of free software being
way forward

Does free software (alone) challenge wage labour? or will it just allow
capital to become more efficient?

One thing I have found it as a supporter of the free software movement
and it tactical alliance with the open source movement I find myself
often cheerleading various of the factions of bosses in there battles
with each other. I often find myself doing this when I listen to the
very enjoyable Linux Show [1].

In interview about how a company was deploying free software as they
could ensure the software was tailor made for the job, increasing work
discipline. (I have been unable to dig out web ref but will post if I do).
I myself used to work in some stores and every computer had a full copy
of Microsoft office on, plus minesweeper. I just imputed some numbers in
a terminal window, which I guess would have lead to a more focused set
up if free software had been used. The fact everyone had Microsoft
office on that hit company productivity hard as it helped with slacking
off. Deployment of free software may be against immediate interests of
workers and they will resist it.

Another thing is that part of the free software/open source push is to
build negotiated standards ( HTML4.01, XHTML, ) rather than de-facto
standards ( eg Zip drives, FAT, .doc format ) . If wage labour were
abolished I believe de-facto standards with no desire to keep them
closed would be much more acceptable and function much better.

Free Software movement is appealing because of it creation of what is
effectively communal property as a concious creation. The GPL is amazing
in it's linking of a vision with the practicalities of the now.
But the way copyleft depends on strong copyright, makes me uneasy even
if it is smart. I find idea of a Free Software  Act [2] implemented by
world wide treaty rather than having to rely on further spread and
hardening  of Berne convention. But even this has political problems for
me. It smacks of the demands for a Tobin tax, social wage or 'social
credit'. If our class if able to gain enough confidence/leverage/power
to force the powers that be to grant these concessions, then we might as
well abolish class society, so why play with these transitional demands.

I am not saying one should back off from supporting and being involved
in the free software movement, and revolutionaries  should engage with
it and learn from it.

I am sure when I find time go back through list archive I will see some
illumination what this really means, and do these contradictions really
hold back free software movements role in building the new society.

A comrade here in Edinburgh wants to persuade me to got to Oekonux
conference. I am tempted. Anyway have a good one.

cheers,

Space Bunny
http://j12.org/sb/

[1] http://www.thelinuxshow.com