[AktiviX] Wiki licenses: public domain, copyleft and no commercial use

cc at riseup.net cc at riseup.net
Fri Jul 9 09:09:47 UTC 2004

Hi

Both the KnowFuture and AktiviX have been debating what
terms their wiki's should be under.

For people on the AktiviX list - KnowFuture is "Liste
europeenne de discussion sur la propriete intellectuelle,
la technologie, la communication et la production
immaterielle". Sorry I can't translate this, but you get
the drift! The plan is to use a wiki for this project.

For people on KnowFuture - AktiviX is a group of free
software using activists who are planning an event in the
autumn:

  AktiviX II - Another System is Possible!

  A weekend for environmental / animal rights / peace /
  social justice /anti-capitalist campaigners / activists
  and cultural creatives to get to know GNU/Linux, each
  other, and to discuss political strategies and actions
  around Information and Communication Technology

  http://wiki.aktivix.org/AktiviX:AktiviX_II

On KnowFuture the debate has been between copyleft and
public domain and on AktiviX the debate has been between
copyleft and using the Creative Commons no commercial use
clause, here is a little ascii art sketch... with maximim
freedom on the left and more restrictive control on the
right... (perhaps ;-)

  Public ___ Copyleft   ___ NonCommercial
  Domain     ShareAlike     ShareAlike

Since these debates are happening at the same time and
there is overlap I thought I'd try to bring them
together to see if that helps at all...

The AktiviX discussion is being written up here (this
document is well worth reading!):

  http://wiki.aktivix.org/AktiviX:Copyrights

And the thread about it start here:

  http://springnight.burngreave.net/pipermail/aktivix/2004-June/thread.html#330

And continues into the July archives.

The knowfuture archives don't seem to be public? In any
case I can't find a link to them from the list signup
page:

  http://listes.samizdat.net/wws/arc/knowfuture_l

Chris