[AktiviX-discuss] Re: GPL for the AktiviX wiki?

mp at fsc.cc mp at fsc.cc
Wed Jul 21 15:37:02 UTC 2004

Quoting Chris <chris at slugbug.org.uk>:
> > My question is -- are the FDL and CC licences suitable for a site
> > where most of the content is about free software?
> >
> OK, well I'm convinced :-)
>
> Is anyone _opposed_ to using the GPL for the wiki content?

well, i am not _opposed_, but there are some things i would like to mention:

(i) I am not sure that the AktiviX Wiki is *mainly* about software at all, is
it?

(ii) From my perspective it is an act of severely muddling issues to claim that
"all information that it is residing in a computer is *software*". This is the
line that Debian has taken, I understand, but I think it is nonsense. Text and
literature is text and literature, and NOT software, IMHO. Is the Bible
software just because it is ditigised and stored on a HDD? I just dont get this
idea at all....... in an even more digital future everything is software then?

And finally: I think that the GPL is a good thing for software, but I don#t see
how it is *GOOD* for the GPL to be extended directly to other domains...just as
i am not sure that it is a good idea to extend otehr domains into software/GPL.

mp