[AktiviX-discuss] Manchesterwireless summer workshop

chip chiapas at riseup.net
Tue Jul 27 13:44:22 UTC 2004

hi

this is planned for Sat 7th August by http://www.manchesterwireless.net/
- looks like it will be good.

they might be up for coming over to Sheffield in September to do a
workshop - i'll have a word.

cheers

chip

<snip>

Current IDEAS for workshops/talks:

1) Node building workshop
    ---- We are doing some work with Redbricks and Homes for Change
(more to follow).  This would be a good opportunity for everyone to come
down and witness how easy it is to setup an access point.

2) Constructing/Calibrating a VSWR meter
    ---- Raylab.com from London are keen to do this, and we apparently
have access to some of the tools they need.  I'll be inviting them along,
although not yet sure if they'll be able to make it.

3) 2.4GHz spanalyzer show & tell
    ----- Yes, we might have access to one of these babies!

4) Digging tunnels through the pennines
    ---- We are planning to link some our access points to Sheffield's
community wireless network.  We could try to setup the links during the
workshop.

5) Setup greatermanchesterwireless VPN
    ----  Of the nodes that we have, very few can see each other.  We
plan to link them together using tunnels to form a Virtual
manchesterwireless network.

6) manchesterwireless.net website relaunch!
   ----- A tad optimistic perhaps

7) Some talks / status reports
   ----- Nothing fancy, nothing that should require an actual
preparation or notes, but I think everyone would be interested to hear
what is going on in various sub-projects:

Any volunteers?
[Rob K - General manchesterwireless status report]
[Andy G - A status report from Warrington Wireless]
[Ewan - Deploying a community wireless network in your back garden] [Rob K
- Streaming a live gig from your house using VideoLAN (next gig is
08/08/04)]
[Harry - Cook ducks on Heaton park using 802.11b]
[Rob B - Building a community wireless phone system with Asterisk] [Rob K
- Website plans/relaunch: a call for volunteers]

And so on.

As usual, a rough show of hands is helpful.  If you fancy coming along
please do - all levels of skill/age/knowledge will be present.

The Zion Arts Centre is here:

http://www.zionarts.com/
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=383349&y=396673&z=2&sv=383349,396673&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

</snip>