[AktiviX] searching for RMS quote (again)

Asa Winstanley asa at youthwise.org
Thu Mar 4 15:33:58 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 8:55 pm, Paul Mobbs wrote:
> Why not try word searching the online text of the book about
> Stallman, "Free as in Freedom". The whole text is online under
> the GFDL: http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/

Alright! I found it thanks to your pointer :) It was in chapter
 5 of Free as in Freedom:

"I hesitate to exaggerate the importance of this little puddle
 of freedom, because the more well-known and conventional areas
 of working for freedom and a better society are tremendously
 important. I wouldn't say that free software is as important as
 they are... these are tremendously important issues, far more
 important than what I do."

Just what I was looking for. As I suspected, I remembered the
wording wrong which meant I had to skim read the book up to this
point. Which was worth doing anyway - an interesting read. Did
you know that as a boy Stallman was politically right wing and
chastised his mother for joining a teachers union because he
thought they were corrupt?!

asa

--
http://asa.custard.org