[AktiviX] Left Wing, Right Wing, and Free Software

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Sat Mar 6 16:50:06 UTC 2004

Actually,
	As an American like RMS, I can emphasize with what are considered
his "right-wing" motives in creating Free Software. In America, freedom as
thought of as individual liberties is considered "right-wing", with
the "left-wing" usually considered "taking away freedom" in order to
support social programs. Now, of course most people realize that "No
man is an island" and any type of freedom worthy of the name can be found in communities - and that these
communities need social program. However, it is the coercive nature of the
traditional Left - from revolutionary parties forcing The Revolution (TM)
to corrupt unions taking away money out of worker paychecks to fund their
own luxuries - that is against the notion of freedom, since those above
activities force people to do something for their "own good". On an
aside, most union hierarchies are notoriously corrupt, particulary in the States, where
with a few grassroots exceptions are almost always a tool of the
State - see "Bringing the Heat in Miami" by CrimethInc. However, the
Right's equation that the choices allowed to us by money is somehow equal
to freedom that is also wrong. Why Free Software is important is because it operates by voluntary
association, allowing users not only more choice but the ability to
*create* - after all, capitalism allows us the choice between Pepsi and Coke - but
Free Software gives you the ability to enter the development process,
joining the community of programmers. These notions of voluntary
association, mutual aid, and finding freedom through the creation of
communities and even products (gasp!) is crucial to the appeal of Free
Software for any person who seeks freedom in at least the computational
aspects of their life. At some point I'll write a proper essay but back to
work...
				-Harry