[AktiviX] Activists Target Paris Subway Ads

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Mar 8 21:50:24 UTC 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-3837388,00.html?=ticker

Activists Target Paris Subway Ads

Monday March 8, 2004 9:16 PM
By JOHN LEICESTER
Associated Press Writer

PARIS (AP) - Suzanne, prim with neat snowy hair, gray anorak and white shirt
fastened at the collar with a blue brooch, glanced furtively up and down the
subway platform bustling with out-on-the-towners.

Slowly, the station emptied; the coast was clear. Spinning on her heels, a
mischievous glint in her soft blue eyes, she whipped a red wax crayon from
her handbag and, wielding it sword-like, scrawled her fury across a billboard
advertising home appliances.

``TOO MANY THINGS, NOT ENOUGH POETRY!'' she wrote.

Pow! Thus another blow was struck in a fight raging in France against
advertising. The attackers are a small but determined band of campaigners for
whom ads are a plague. Their battlegrounds are the tunnels and platforms of
Paris' subway, and bus stops in other towns. Their targets: companies that
make capitalism tick.

Organizing over the Internet, hunted by the forces of order, these urban
guerrillas are focusing debate on advertising's power. Is there too much of
it? Should we fight back?

For Suzanne, a 63-year-old political militant since she first threw stones at
police during student riots that shook France in 1968, the answer to those
questions is ``Yes.''

``Capitalism needs consumerism to survive,'' she said. ``If we get rid of
advertising, we get rid of consumerism and that will get rid of capitalism.''

Mmmmmm. It's hard to envisage the foundations of the global economy toppling
anytime soon. But the anti-advertising movement has provoked a counterattack
from French advertising giant Publicis and Paris' public transportation
operator, the RATP.

Joining forces, the two firms are taking 62 anti-ad militants to court on
Wednesday, seeking $1.2 million in damages for destruction wreaked and
scrawled on billboards.

Suzanne is not among those 62, but the threat of fines scares her enough she
won't give her surname. Nevertheless, she campaigns on, riding the Metro with
a band of like-minded teenagers one recent Saturday, trailing destruction in
their wake.

Pssssshhhhhh. Louis, 16, worked quickly but efficiently with a can of black
spray paint. ``ADVERTISING NUMBS YOU'' read his still-dripping slogan on a
billboard for the movie ``Shrek 2.''

``Walt Disney. Hollywood. Big budget. No good,'' he muttered by way of
explanation before sprinting down the platform to attack another billboard
before a train pulled in.

``It's joy,'' he said, describing how it felt to spray. ``It's a real pleasure
to finally be able to resist.''

France's anti-advertising campaign to some extent dovetails with a larger
movement against globalization that regularly protests meetings of the World
Trade Organization, the Group of Eight industrial nations and other
``capitalist'' bodies.

One of Suzanne's band, Christophe, 17, said he traveled to the Alps last June
to protest a G-8 summit.

Suzanne's group changed subway lines every three or four stations to avoid
being spotted by security agents. At each station, they first followed other
passengers heading toward the exits. Then, having determined no guards were
lurking in the tunnels, they doubled back to set to work spraying and tearing
down ads.

In all, militants damaged 3,500 posters that Saturday, says Metrobus, a
Publicis subsidiary that sells the subway's advertising space. It says it has
to compensate firms whose ads are targeted.

Suzanne's group alone attacked more than 50 billboards in at least eight
stations. At one stop, they happened across other campaigners slapping up
stickers saying, ``Every day I wash my brain with advertising,'' mocking
laundry detergent ads.

``Advertising is a one-way message that amounts to harassment,'' said Nicolas,
a teacher in his 30s. ``We should have the right to refuse it.''

The RATP, which transports millions of Parisians each day, is not happy to
find itself on the front line. It believes Paris' public is on its side,
citing a survey it commissioned last month in which 73 percent of 800 people
questioned said advertisements make their public transport journeys ``more
agreeable and less monotonous'' and 75 percent said they disapproved of the
anti-ad militants.

``These people are on the wrong side of the law. We can't let this type of
action go unchallenged,'' said RATP spokesman Fabien Contino.

The RATP says the $74 million to $86 million it earns each year from selling
advertising space could buy 300 new buses. Contino said ticket prices would
rise by 5 percent if there were no ad, an increase equal to just seven cents.

But in a small victory for the campaigners, the RATP on Monday and for the
next 10 days freed up space on 47 billboards in 24 stations for people to
write what they like.

``The RATP offers this space of free expression,'' said a company notice on
one white board at the Strasbourg-Saint Denis station. ``Thank you for
respecting this initiative by reacting only on this poster and by avoiding
all injurious and discriminatory comments.''

==========

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html