[AktiviX] [Politech] Hack the tech: a possible counter-RFID strategy

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed May 5 22:10:22 UTC 2004

Quoting Paul Mobbs <mobbsey at gn.apc.org>:

> But more seriously, if a sufficient number of people participate, and thus
> a sufficient number of RFID tags are pressed into service generating bogus
> data, it will discredit them and devalue their usefulness, thus discouraging
> their further adoption and undercutting attempts to rely on them for
> some of their more Orwellian possible uses.

ah..though perhaps RFID could be useful for a community,.. We were looking at
the distributed library project .. http://sheffield.communitybooks.org  and
expanding it to allow people to share other things they own.  RFID would make
that easy, you just scan the item and say this is mine and i want to share it,
rather than having to punch lots of stuff into a terminal.

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "