[AktiviX] Stealing Back the Airwaves

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat May 8 09:18:10 UTC 2004

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,63343,00.html/wn_ascii

Stealing Back the Airwaves

By Jason Silverman
WIRED: 02:00 AM May. 07, 2004 PT

Please don't call Stephen Dunifer a pirate. He's a microbroadcaster, or, at
least, a former one.

As Dunifer tells it, the term "pirate radio," though once a badge of honor, is
misleading. Pirates are criminals, he might tell you, while microbroadcasters
are Tom Paine-like patriots.

 Dunifer dreams of reclaiming the airwaves, neighborhood by neighborhood, from
the corporate powers that be. To that end, he's spent the past several years
training would-be do-it-yourself broadcasters. His four-day Radio Summer
Camps, sponsored by Free Radio Berkeley, offer how-tos for building
transmitters and antennas, along with advice on handling any FCC agents that
might come knocking. The camps begin in June.

With a few hundred bucks and a bit of know-how, potential pirates, er,
microbroadcasters, could hop the airwaves right away.

Katie Jacoby, a junior at Bard College in New York, spent her winter break in
one of Dunifer's training sessions, and earlier this month launched Free
Radio Annandale, an unlicensed station at 92.5 FM. After overcoming some
logistical problems -- Jacoby had to put her antenna up a tree -- she began
broadcasting hip-hop and punk music and politically oriented programming
including Democracy Now.

"It's been extremely empowering to follow the DIY ethic," she said. "What's
even more exciting is that I am continually inspired to learn more about
radio technology ... and I've really started to think about the facets of
society that constrict our ability to communicate. When others hear of the
crazy projects I do, they get inspired too. It's infectious."

Building your own station is also illegal. Dunifer advises his students to
enlist the help of an attorney before hopping the airwaves. But he describes
microbroadcasting as "electronic civil disobedience" rather than a typical
criminal act.

"As far as I'm concerned, the real pirates are the NAB (National Association
of Broadcasters) and their member stations," Dunifer said, referring to the
powerful lobbying group. "They've stolen the airwaves with the full
complicity of the FCC and Congress."

Can microbroadcasters grab them back? Dunifer thinks so. Put enough Katie
Jacobys on the air at once, Dunifer suggests, and you could create a
21st-century equivalent to the Boston Tea Party.

Imagine this: A thousand little stations send radio programming across cities
and towns from senior centers, dorm rooms and attics. The understaffed FCC
would be powerless to shut them down. Audiences would have substantive
content choices. No one would tune into Top-40 radio. And the media moguls
would slink back into their caves.

OK, so the scenario is a bit far-fetched. But the FCC and Big Radio are
obviously paying attention to the microbroadcasters -- it was pressure from
independent broadcasters that forced the FCC to grant a limited number of
low-power, or LPFM, radio licenses to community organizations, a decision
that the NAB resisted.

Still, Pete Tridish, a recovering pirate and head of the low-power radio
advocacy group Prometheus Radio Project, thinks pirate stations on their own
won't cause enough of a ripple in Washington. He is lobbying to have the FCC
cough up more LPFM licenses, including in urban areas.

"Having tried it, I don't think a strategy just of civil disobedience will
work," Tridish said. "The pirates' ability to be civilly disobedient is out
of proportion to the problem they are trying to change."

That problem is media concentration. Critics say that the 1996
Telecommunications Act turned radio into a preprogrammed monolith as
independent, local radio stations were gobbled up by conglomerates, including
Clear Channel, which now owns 1,200 stations in 230 markets. (Click here for
the case against Clear Channel.)

For some media activists, working with the FCC to solve perceived problems
with the mass media is counterintuitive. Dunifer spent four years banging
heads with the feds while fighting an injunction against his station, Free
Radio Berkeley. His defense: The FCC was stepping on his Bill of Rights.

"This was a First Amendment issue," Dunifer said. "When you have a system that
allocates access depending on money, that's not free speech.

"Our core argument was that the FCC's rules and regulations constitute an
artificially high barrier to free speech. If the government is going to
regulate First Amendment rights, they have to do it in the least-restrictive
means possible. But, at this point, unless you have tons of money you can't
even enter the (broadcasting) game."

Dunifer's success in court was shocking -- it undermined, to an extent, the
FCC's entire existence -- but temporary. The injunction against Free Radio
Berkeley stands.

But those who can't broadcast, teach. Dunifer's summer camps are an attempt to
seed an army of microbroadcasters to reclaim what he calls "stolen property:
the airwaves, a public resource."

"We need an alternative media to bring alternative viewpoints and to give us
access to music and art and poetry and other forms of expression," Dunifer
said. "It's fundamental to the democratic process. If you don't have an open
media that's freewheeling and chaotic and a wonderful mess, you don't have
democracy."

==========

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html