[AktiviX] Media Hacklab open meeting this Sunday

Asa Winstanley asa at youthwise.org
Sun May 9 13:25:29 UTC 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 11:16, spanner wrote:
> I don't think it's "purist" to advocate using Free/Libre
> software wherever possible, even if it's sometimes inconvenient.

Agreed. That's not the question, though. All the activist types
unfamiliar with free software and GNU/Linux seem eager to learn.
But that will take a little time and education.  The question is
whether or not to ban non-free software from the lab altogether.

> If there is a genuine lack of a Free alternative for a specific
> activism purpose, that's one thing.

The fact is that is does lack. GNU/Linux is just not up to scratch
yet in terms of professional level multimedia - sound, video and
DTP. I stress YET.

I take your point about how running GNU/Linux is self defence. I
agree, and that is why we will be running it. I just think that
there are much more important freedoms than software freedom and
that if using non-free software is the only way people are
comfortable to work towards those freedoms then I'm not going to
stop them. Educate them as to the alternatives (if they exist
yet), yes. But not try to ban them from using it in what is
supposed to be a free space.

> If any new users are really all at sea with KDE or Gnome, there
> are more "Windows-like" Linux desktops available, like Lycoris
> and XPDE.

It's more to do with apps than the OS, really. People are used to
Photoshop so we will need to run GIMP workshops etc etc. It's
mainly a confidence thing in my opinion.

> This is sort of the software equivalent of selling fake meat to
> newbie vegetarians, but a stepping-stone is better than nothing.

I like that analogy :)

> By the end of the exchange, the main defender of MS warez
> admitted that he hadn't actually tried Linux since Red Hat 6

Yea, and I think a lot of the reluctance will dissipate once they
sit down in front of a properly configured linux workstation. But,
meanwhile, if they need to use Premiere or whatever, I have no
right to stand in the way or that, especially when there are no
free alternatives. I mean, I've heard some people say (and I'm not
accusing you of this) that if it can't be done with non-free
software then people should just do it at home. Well, to me, that
just goes against the whole spirit of collaboration that we are
trying to foster.

> A lot of us non-Londoners are inspired by all the hard work
> you're putting in on this though, and several of us here in
> Oxford are talking about building something resembling your
> description of the hacklab.  I hope to get to one of your
> meetings very soon to meet up and learn more about what you've
> done.  Thanks!

Wow! That is REALLY encouraging to hear. You don't mind if I print
off your email and show that part of it to people at the meeting
tonight do you? It would be great if you or any other of your
group could make it to a meeting. We should link up! We have some
parts and resources to spare, so maybe we could get a little
mutual aid going between us. The beginnings of a Hacklab network
in the UK? I hope so!

The other stuff is on the agenda for tonight as well, so it will
come up anyway. I will make some of your points, as they are
valid.

--
http://asa.custard.org
OpenPGP key ID: 8B298692