[AktiviX-discuss] groups using sections of the wiki?

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Mon Nov 1 20:33:54 UTC 2004

Hi

On Mon 01-Nov-2004 at 08:03:59PM +0000, mp wrote:

> a group of people, some of whom are good and close
> friends (see for instance
> www.nephridium.org/mirabelle-productions), are working
> on a land-living project (eco-village/DIY style) in
> Devon. They would like to be able to document the work
> processes of their various subgroups via the web and
> also advertise some events, related to environmental
> politics and spiritual practices connecting to the
> land). They still live in different places in the
> country and therefore could do really well with a WIKI,
> I think.
>
> Does the Aktivix WIKI lend itself to such purposes?

Well I think for things that just need a couple of wiki
pages then squatting on another wiki does make sense but
this project seems plenty big enough to deserve it's own
wiki...

> In some sense it is essential for this group that only
> they can change things in their basic sections, since
> they are documenting a work process (of course the
> highest level admins of the entire WIKI has access, but
> not normal users -registered or unregistered). However,
> some parts I imagine that they would love to have people
> to participate in, such as suggestions for/help with
> planning events and feedback form them.

With Mediawiki people who have sysop accounts can protect
pages so that only other sysop's can edit them and I think
this would be good enough for this.

> Is this possible? Doable? Something that Aktivix ppl
> think is a good thing to be offering?

I think it would be cool to offer wiki's for things like
this, at the moment the aktivix wiki is at the end of a
adsl line (this is why it's slow sometimes) and we could
put another wiki in the same place I guess... When we get
a dedicated web server then it will be easier to offer
hosting...

BTW there was a discussion about free wiki hosting on the
mediawiki list the other day:

  http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-October/001887.html

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World