[AktiviX-discuss] Problems changing password

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Oct 27 15:45:14 UTC 2004

Quoting mp <mp at aktivix.org>:

> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 22:50, Alan Dawson wrote:
> > I think it needs to be
> >

> 3. contain upper case alphabetic char (I have one that doesn't; we need
> clarification:)

Well actually I don't know :-( and was only guessing  ( hence the 'I think' )
from a small amount of in no way exhaustive testing.

There is a setting  - "Plausibility test for passwords" set.  But, I cant work
out what this means ( apart from it warns you when a password is too simple ).
I can find some stuff in /etc/login.defs but I /dont understand/cant find/ how
the password encryption is stuff works.

If anybody knows where this setting would be found in the configuration files on
SuSE Linux, or even how it makes a decision please shout!

You can change to any password from a shell, by ignoring the warning, but I
_think_ the warning about "Simple password" breaks the poppassd wrapper ? Maybe
not ? /me not knows anything about poppassd either.  I've grepped the source
for the "Password too simple" error but can't find it in there either.

> .... was this an earlier setting that permitted this?

So no, not that i'm aware of. Did you change password from an ssh session ?

I've not tried asking on my local lug 'cos they say SuSE sux :-(

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "