[AktiviX-discuss] invitation to belfast

m.reinsborough at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK m.reinsborough at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK
Mon Sep 27 19:11:50 UTC 2004

invite text below
can anyone come over and do an aktivix workshop/discussion?

The 2nd Belfast Grassroots Gathering: an invitation

Sept 25th 2004
						(for contact details see below)

Following the success of previous gatherings throughout Ireland over the
past three years the grassroots gathering will be back in Belfast over the
weekend of 22nd to the 24th of October.

         The grassroots gatherings have aimed towards a network which
would: - Be based on the principle that people should control their own
lives and work together as equals, as part of how we work as well as what
we are working towards. - Within the network this means rejecting top-down
and state-centred forms of organisation (hierarchical, authoritarian,
expert-based, Leninist etc.). We need a network that's open, decentralised,
and really democratic. - Call for solutions that involve ordinary people
controlling their own lives and having the resources to do so: the
abolition, not reform, of global bodies like the World Bank and WTO, and a
challenge to underlying structures of power and inequality. - Organise for
the control of the workplace by those who work there. - Call for the
control of communities by the people who live there. - Argue for a
sustainable environmental, economic and social system, agreed by the people
of the planet. - Working together in ways which are accessible to ordinary
people, particularly women and working-class people, rather than
reproducing feelings of disempowerment and alienation within our own
network.

The grassroots gathering in Belfast has been booked into Queens Students
Union, located on University Road opposite the main Queens building. A
theme this gathering hopes to tackle is building safe communities with an
emphasis on undoing racism (both structural and interpersonal) and
addressing gender bias and patriarchal structures and attitudes throughout
society and within our social movements. There will be space to discuss
issues pertinent to the campaigns coming out of grassroots activism all
over Ireland, such as, anti-water charges campaigns, war resistance,
environmental campaigns, the global women’s strike and the other issues
brought to the gathering by the people attending. As always the success of
the gathering is dependent upon the involvement of those attending. Between
then and now here’s how you can get involved. You can pass this invitation
on to people who support the aims of the gathering and would like to be
involved. There are regular organising meetings in Belfast. If you would
like to get involved or have suggestions for workshops get in touch, there
is contact information below.

Signed with Solidarity & Autonomy,

the co-ordinating group for a grassroots gathering that will help prepare
us to stop globalisation, war, capitalism and patriarchy dead in their
tracks!

Contact Information
To receive further information about this grassroots gathering contact:
 	By email contact us at grassrootsbelfast2 at safe-mail.net
Belfast - c/o PO Box 505, Belfast, BT12 6BQ
 	Telephone:   (UK) 07729785327
More information on the web at http://grassrootsgathering.freeservers.com
 or			         http://www.mallusk.net/grassrootsgathering

The Grassroots Gathering is a space for communication, learning and debate
between people organising non-hierarchically for a new society in Ireland
and worldwide. We include environmentalists, community activists, worker’s
and consumer’s cooperatives, anarchists, trade unionists, feminists,
cultural activists and others united in our rejection of capitalism and
commitment to the voluntary creation of alternatives without coercion.
Children are welcome at this event.

The gathering will include video showings, workshops, evening festivities,
direct actions and presentations from all over Ireland and abroad, and a
bookstall by Just Books. Veggie and vegan food will be provided by Belfast
food not bombs, and free accommodation will be provided (bring a sleeping
bag). Volunteers are needed each day for an hour or so to supervise play
activities, help in the kitchen and clean up.

There will be workshops on the themes: • gender, queer activism, Global
Woman’s Strike (March 8th), and other issues such as dealing with rape and
sexual harassment in our communities. • racism, understanding white skin
privilege, anti-racist/anti-fascist organising.

If you have experience in these areas and want to get involved in planning
the discussions or presenting a workshop please contact us at
grassrootsbelfast2 at safe-mail.net

Other workshops suggested or confirmed include:

•	politics, democracy & technology
•	water charges
•	student politics in Latin America
•	education workers network
•	fire your boss workshop
•	understanding different stages social movements go through
•	guerrilla/community gardening
•	food not bombs
•	bin skipping and recycling
•	the Dissent network (planning for G8 UK 2005)
•	bicycle repair workshop
•	wild food gathering
•	3 sided football
•	home brewing

If you would like to present a workshop or facilitate a discussion please,
or have experience relating to some of the workshops listed, please contact
us as soon as possible at grassrootsbelfast2 at safe-mail.net

We are also planning to set aside time for ‘renegade workshop’ space for
shorter meetings, workshops and announcements.

We want people to get involved, we need help with cooking, children’s
activities, providing accommodation (if you live in Belfast), facilitating
workshops and discussions. Come along and muck in.

Web Links • The Grassroots Gatherings in Ireland
http://grassrootsgathering.freeservers.com
http://www.mallusk.net/grassrootsgathering

Location
•	Queens University Belfast Student Union	http://www.qubsu.org/contact.htm
•	City of Belfast				http://www.gotobelfast.com
•	City Map				http://www.belfast.net/mo/belmap.jpg
            http://www.tripadvisor.com/DisplayMap?src=1076823

Belfast City of Culture • Belfast Festival at Queens
http://www.belfastfestival.com • Children’s Art Festival
http://www.gotobelfast.com/Events/ViewDetail.cfm/Events_Id/729/level/page/category_key/197/Page_Key/278/parent_key/0/type/Page/pagename/Young%20At%20Art%20Festival.htm
• Catalyst Arts http://www.catalystarts.org/ • The Vacuum/Factotum
http://www.factotum.org.uk/

InterContinental Links • Global Women’s Strike
http://www.globalwomenstrike.net/ • People’s Global Action
http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/index.htm • Dissent Network
(Opposing the G8 in Scotland 2005)
http://www.dissent.org.uk/content/view/62/52/ • Irish Social Forum
http://www.irishsocialforum.org/index.php • European Social Forum (ESF)
http://www.fse-esf.org/ • Autonomous Spaces (at the ESF)
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=04/09/07/1445248

Irish Environmental and Social Movement Organisations • Gluaiseacht Network
http://www.gluaiseacht.net/ • Workers Solidarity Movement
http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/wsm.html • Organise!
http://flag.blackened.net/af/orgireland/ • Greenaction
http://quis.qub.ac.uk/greenaction • Cork Autonomous Zone
http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/wsm/ws/2003/ws75/caz.html • Campaign
against Mallusk Landfill http://www.no-more-landfill.com • Direct Action
Against Apathy http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5944/

What Happened at the Last Grassroots Gathering In Belfast? There have been
several highly successful Grassroots Gatherings across Ireland in the past
three years. The previous Grassroots Gathering in Belfast held over the
weekend of October 26th – 27th 2002, it brought together over one hundred
grassroots activists, environmentalists, union members, feminists, working
people, anarchists, children and other assorted troublemakers from across
the island and beyond. There were almost 20 different workshops on a wide
variety of topics including Gender, Direct Action, Social Centres, Opposing
US Military Use of Shannon Air, Workers Control, Reclaim the Streets,
Confronting Sectarianism, and Forest Gardens. It took place in Giros, which
was a democratically managed social centre in Belfast, with gigs, meetings,
a cafe, a darkroom, a library, and much more. Given the international
situation, unsurprisingly talk about the war took up a lot of time. One
excellent workshop was introduced by the Shannon plane spotters of
Refuelling Peace. The discussion following this was mostly about schemes to
establish a peace camp at Shannon, creating a democratic anti–war network
and a call for a further demonstration at Shannon warport. These proposals
were then taken to the Morning meeting, i.e. to all folk at Grassroots, not
just attendees at one workshop. Many concrete plans and ideas emerged from
the many workshops during the two days, including the formation of a
grassroots network against the war, the staging of Reclaim The Streets, and
the suggestion to host a People's Global Action conference in Ireland. In
fact the only problem that seemed to occur was that of two or more
interesting workshops coinciding and the sheer lack of time to attend
everything. A special word of thanks has to go out to the Belfast crew for
all their hard work and the organisation of this Grassroots Gathering. It
was a roaring success thanks to their hospitality and meticulous attention
to detail!