[AktiviX-discuss] Correction: "open cd"

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Wed Sep 29 13:57:34 UTC 2004

NorthLondon John wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>> I have a higher opinion of the TheOpenCD than Ana - this might be
>> because I downloaded the full, and most recent, iso, not zip files.
>> It works very smoothly (albeit with Internet Exploder) just from
>> putting it into the cd drive.

Yes, I was surprise by ana's remarks, as I think one of the best things
about TheOpenCD is the autorun pop up installer menu, I can only guess
ana has not seen this in action on latest version. The main aim of
project is distribution as a cdrom to new people, rather than expect
them to deal with downloading and burning iso to cdrom. Even if people
have autorun disabled then it is hoped they click on start icon when
browsing disk rather then exploring the directory structure but extras
can be found if explored.

I am glad ana was so inspired by me giving her that cdrom a few years
ago with lots of free software on and advocacy texts. I think it may
have even had the first less colourful version  of that opencd pop up
menu on it.

I think it is good for people to do there own versions.

I still take the TheOpenCD as a base and add extra stuff, for those that
browse around the directory structure.

> My mistake - it doesn't use IE - it has it's own auto-launcher (which
> might use DirectX).

No it is it own self contained executable (well it needs a DLL but that
is on cdrom), this was written in Visual Basic as it is what person who
did it knew best as they attempted to get a first release out, as
project almost collapsed under being bogged down debate over what
programs should be on it.

> Anyway, that code can be taken and used for Ana's project.

They have developed a newer system for version 2 that will allow easier
generation especially with multiple languages, in fact I sure many
another cdrom project will start using it once it is show to work out there.

It uses script generated xml pages and a modified version of K-meleon
browser.

http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597

I think  we still have to wait a while before version 2 comes out and we
see it in action for real.

The code for the VB installer is somewhere on the latest cd, but then
you need a non-free VB complier, which is why it is better to look to
new system.

Anyway you may see some of my contributions to the TheOpenCD forum as
'bunny', but I have never really got well stuck into helping with it in
big way.

I have not agreed with all choices of what to go on the cdrom, but
choices do have to be made, if one agrees with idea to give a simple
selection with criteria that opencd has. If you want a jam packed cdrom
with allsort of usefull and only usefull to some free software then try
GNUWin II.

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/

cheers,

Space Bunny

PS I keep meaning to email about server setup, watch this space or catch
me in irc.

http://j12.org/sb/