[AktiviX-discuss] aktivix and academic/activist projects: principled objections?

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 15:37:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:26:00PM +0000, mp wrote:

> there is currently a request on aktivix-request at lists.aktivix.org for a
> list to be used by a group who are working in universities doing
> research related to activism - and who want to use their work to funnel
> resources into projects like aktivix.
>
> the group is composed of people that some aktivixtas know from projects
> like indymedia, samba bands etc.
>
> does anybody think that it is *not right* for aktivix to provide such
> services?

You would think that one of them might be able to set up such a
list on their University systems on the basis that it is necessary
for their research. If not then I guess it is a reasonable request.

I know a couple of activists who are very anti-university, but they
are not involved with AktiviX. I have no fundamental objection but
of course there is potential for research to be misused.

> someone thinks it is a good idea to build such alliances?

I am ambivalent, if others are up for it I have no objections.

> any volunteers to set up a bank account and collect funds?

So AktiviX does not already have a bank account?

It is not so easy. I have used my personal bank account to put
some stuff through, but if that is not an option then you have
to form some sort of non-profit organsation and have secretary,
treasurer, mission statement and all that crap, fill in loads
of forms, provide ID etc.

I don't have time to get involved but if anyone is up for it
then Emma from Catalyst was recommending "Unity Trust Bank".
She uses it for housing co-ops and they apparently do free
banking for non profit groups.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory