[AktiviX-discuss] Web hosting question...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Feb 28 11:30:38 UTC 2005

Allo,

Following on from the co-housing web group e-list request:

I'm looking to set up two Mambo sites (having never done this before.)
Question: is there any chance Aktivix host these two sites?

1. UK co-housing network: from networking to lobbying to advocacy to
green building suppliers, following on from this weekend's conference.

The possible good things that will come from this website can't be
exagerated: there's a huge amount of will to change govt and local
authority housing policy to the gain of those currently worst off, and
this site will allow co-ordination of this, as well as development of
new co-operative communities.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/02/306020.html

There should be scope for getting aktivix dosh further down the road for
this, but not in the next month!

2. A South Yorkshire 'Active Learning for Active Citizenship' site.

This last is a home office funded project, and I can ask for money for
hosting.

Now, I know the last one sounds a bit awful, but it's being run by WEA -
and, for example, they've offered to give some ALAC money to local
Burngreave people to pay them to challenge the masterplan there, through
supported research.  They came up with the name 'Burngreave against the
masterplan' for the course all by themselves...!

They're also funding 'e-citizenship' stuff and (as a few peeps already
know) I'm looking for ways that this ties into what aktivix and the
wider activist IT community does.

Which is to say that, having got to know 'em a bit, WEA think like
activists - but much older ones who know *zero* about ICT and its
radical/community potential.  The fact that they've got this ALAC money
offers a chance for showing what proper active citizenship is!  E.g.
using IT to help fight the council railroading through a godawful
masterplan that's going to mainly benefit developers...

If yes, I can have a go at uploading the mambo files, configuring
through a browser, etc - but may need a little help!

If it's not possible (I don't know what kind of hits these two sites are
likely to be getting, aside from anything else....) I quite understand.

peace

Dan