[AktiviX-discuss] proposals

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Sat Jan 22 17:18:30 UTC 2005

Hi

On Fri 21-Jan-2005 at 08:37:43PM -0500, Harry Halpin
wrote:

> We could just make the list non-public and not keep
> archives. I mean, that's pretty simple and probably good
> practice for most activists.

I really like having open archives for the main discussion
list (though the ability to view list members should be
for admins only if it isn't already).

If there is a need to edit some stuff from the archives
then I'd be able to help with this, I assume it's the same
task as this:

  http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Sysadmin/ListWorkHowto#CURRENT_archives

The advantages of open archives is that we can find stuff,
others can get an idea of what aktivix is about, it means
there is nothing to try to infiltrate -- with a closed
list it's a onerous task vetting all applications for
membership...

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, mp wrote:
>
> > 1# archive entries concerning email or list requests
> > to be removed for their obvious contribution to anyone
> > who may wish to map out activist network (including
> > this mail!)

Yeah, makes sense...

> > 2# a simple HTML form, to be placed on main page or
> > prominently linked to from here, in which to make a
> > request be substituted for current procedures.

Yep, again I think this makes sense for applications for
email accounts and also lists.

> > 3# the list-owner group should receive the requests
> > (the form) and make the decision according to their
> > knowledge of those who request, and of course ask for
> > seconding etc. as necessary. there may be issues about
> > accountability etc. in this context, but they are,
> > imho, secondary and can easily be dealt with. if list
> > owner group is as a minimum 5 (as currently) it should
> > possible to have this level of responsibility
> > delegated - taken into consideration that gains in
> > privacy.

For this I'd suggest setting up a new list, AktiviX-admin
and having close archives and a limited membership and
this list sorting out all this stuff.

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World