[AktiviX-discuss] More daft questions from pseudo-troll

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Jan 25 18:17:29 UTC 2005

Hallo,

Sorry, but I've no-one else to go to!  One question to anyone, some to
the Sheffield contingent specifically -

1. I'm designing an e-citizenship course for WEA.  (God knows how this
happened... it's a funny old world!)  In my usual way, I have the will,
but not the know-how, to try and make this as open source as possible.
Mostly we'll have to use Microsoft stuff, although I'll get Mozilla and
Thunderbird installed in the teaching room here.

This won't be so relevant in the short term, because the course is going
to be pretty basic - but WEA's longer term aims (and those of the Adult
Community Learning Unit (ACLU) of the Council) are pretty good.

Like me, however, they lack an understanding of the details of other
community options - particularly open source ones.

I was wondering, first, if anyone had any thoughts they might want to
share on ICT and empowering the community - genuinely doing so, rather
than just showing people how to fill in their tax return online.

And a question for Sheffield bods more specifically: the long term aims
include a whole range of things, including community radio, the use of
digital audio-visual media, etc.

I wonder - is there anyone willing to meet with me and WEA, to
brainstorm what might happen in the next year or two?  Some things that
cross my mind are -

*Getting WEA to either contribute to Aktivix, so that a section of it
could be used for e.g. setting up e-mail lists and websites.  (What I'm
going to try and do is work with asylum seekers, refugees and minority
communities to use the web to communicate with each other, as well as
find out about and share info with their countries of origin - if they
want to!) - or vice versa, aktivix advising WEA and the council on the
free provision of the internet, perhaps through a WEA-owned server.

*Finding out how to spread wireless (e.g. Shefnet, although I can't get
the link to work just now!) and getting open-source-ready PCs being used
in the community.

Someone would have to make the case to WEA, and it could be quite
difficult to convince 'em, but is anyone willing to give it a go?

Also: someone from the ACLU asked me to find someone willing to talk to
them about how to upload audio and audio-visual files - what's the best
format, etc.  (I was talking to them about the ease of uploading AV to
Indymedia... speaking of which, they're quite happy for me to promote
Indymedia in the classes...!)

They would pay for someone to do a presentation on this.  If anyone can
provisionally offer, I can find out how much they might pay.

Cheers!

Dan

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.