[AktiviX-discuss] Ufi-learndirect: what should I say?

chip chiapas at riseup.net
Fri Jun 10 15:54:57 UTC 2005

hi

i ahve to admit i didn't read the BECTA report and still haven't  :o)

Alan Dawson said:
>> Sent: 06 June 2005 16:45
>> To: Dawson, Alan
>> Subject: OSS in Schools Report
>>

>> Comments:
>>
>> Appendix 3 is fatally flawed!  One of the aims of the study
>> was to "compare the TCO of using OSS... against that of
>> non-OSS solutions".  However, the "Annual TCO per PC" costs
>> in the table in Appendix 3 suggest that there is a saving to
>> be made in "Consumables" simply by using OSS!  Impossible!!
>> This anomaly must, therefore, cast doubt on whether any of
>> the other figures are truly comparable.  For example, are
>> BECTA really suggesting that schools saved money on hardware
>> simply by using OSS?  Similarly, I would have expected to see
>> a significant cost saving on software between schools that
>> use OSS and those that don't, but on this evidence, only
>> relatively small cost savings are attainable!

however, i suppose hardware savings could be made by getting redundant
equipment to run mini-distros such as DSL Linux, or turning knackered
boxes into firewalls, print servers, email gateways, webservers and the
like.

erm, but some very good points made - perhaps someone should inform BECTA???

chip
--
http://sheffield.indymedia.org.uk