[AktiviX-discuss] Practical Security Advice for Campaigns and Activists

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Sat Mar 19 22:32:46 UTC 2005

Hi

I read the RTF document, "Practical Security Advice for
Campaigns and Activists" on your site [1] with interest
and some thoughts I had regarding internet issues were:

1. Encrypting partitions not just files (PGP) appears to
   have become essential (FBI seizure of London Indymedia
   server and Italian police siezing laptops of activists
   involved with G8 Geona defence).

2. Tor (http://tor.eff.org/) seems to be the best way of
   anomomising web browsing these days.

3. Using activist email accounts (eg riseup.net or
   aktivix.org) makes a lot of sense since most these
   servers are now using TLS so all mail between them is
   encrypted.

Also I have copied this to the aktivix discussion list
(which is an open list) -- I think some other poeple might
have some stuff to add on this issue... (also it would be
good to put ideas about this on the aktivix wiki...)

Also with regard to your web site, I'd suggest keeping it
simple, storing the pages / code in CVS / Subversion
somewhere else (eg http://codecoop.org/) and then this
makes it easier to have multiple people working on the
site, set up mirrors and also not loose the data if the
server is shut down...

Chris

[1] http://www.activistsecurity.org/

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World