[AktiviX-discuss] Practical Security Advice for Campaigns and Activists

Amias Channer aktivix at amias.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 12:44:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 04:29:03 -0800 (PST)
Max Gastone <banangling at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris <chris at aktivix.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I read the RTF document, "Practical Security Advice
> > for
> > Campaigns and Activists" on your site [1] with
> > interest
> > and some thoughts I had regarding internet issues
> > were:
> >
> > 1. Encrypting partitions not just files (PGP)
> > appears to
> >    have become essential (FBI seizure of London
> > Indymedia
> >    server and Italian police siezing laptops of
> > activists
> >    involved with G8 Geona defence).
>
> Yes, this is important, in particular for campaigns.
>
> The problem I had with disk encryption was from the
> basic user point of view.
>
> People are nervous of new technologies, even though in
> hind sight it was nothing to be frightened of . Disk
> encryption falls into this catagory, though it has now
> greatly improved it's front ends and is more
> userfriendly than in old, which is definitely a step
> forward and I feel much more confident recommending it
> to people.
>
> I cant recall if it is in the ActivistSecurity booklet
> or not, but it was recommended as an alternative to
> disk encryption to keep everything in one folder and
> essentially tarball it, and then encrypt the tarball
> with PGP. Worked a treat for me the last time I got
> raided.

Another aproach might be to use the cypto loopback
driver to automate this . This is not ppc specific AFAICT.
http://www.ppcnerds.org/displayarticle186.html

> > 2. Tor (http://tor.eff.org/) seems to be the best
> > way of anomomising web browsing these days.

gaurdster.com is a bit easier to use , you just go
to the site and give it the url you want to browse.
No setup but it does have adverts.
No idea how secure it really is.

> Also, it marks you out to some degree, like in the
> days when it was said that using PGP marked you out as
> some sort of subversive.

also if you are just signing your emails with PGP and not
encrypting them you are making it worse for you self.
This makes you much more obvious.

Toodle-pip
Amias