[AktiviX-discuss] Practical Security Advice for Campaigns and Activists

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Mon Mar 21 20:24:26 UTC 2005

Chris wrote:
> Yeah, I have done some research on crypted disks (but not
> got as far as setting one up...) and what is really needed
> (but is probably a year or so off) is the option to set
> this up when installing a linux distro -- afaik no distro
> offers this yet, perhaps Blag might be one of the first
> though?

I did a bit of a writeup about cryptofs:
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkCrypto#Filesystem

It would be very cool to make this an option in the blag installer, but
woah, it looks damn difficult. For a Fedora-based distro it would
require python hacking in anaconda (the FC installer).

I don't know of any distro (GNU/Linux or *BSD) that makes it an option
in the installer.

I know it is not planned for Fedora Core 4, but perhaps for Fedora Core
5 (scheduled for release at the end of 2005 or thereabouts), but
probably doubtful even then.

> Installing isn't so hard, I think the next version of Blag
> will come with it.

BLAG 30k (which is currently in beta, based on Fedora Core 3) has tor &
privoxy which work nicely together. It is not enabled in the browser by
default. It's quite easy to activate though:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=702

> This is where TLS comes in -- if people are accessing

FYI. The latest release of postfix (2.2.x) has TLS in it by default,
which means a lot more servers will start using TLS in the future. I
believe it will be default in Fedora Core 4, and if we're lucky they'll
do an FC3 build (or maybe I'll do one for blag30k).

-Jeff