[AktiviX-discuss] Distros and such...

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Oct 24 08:17:50 UTC 2005

Quoting jeff <moe at blagblagblag.org>:

> ... BLAG lags behind Fedora and waits for others to fix the various
> piles of packages--then we snag 'em ;)

My understanding is that Fedora is a relatively fast moving target, (which Red
Hat take a snapshot of every now and again, stabilise and turn into RHEL ?).

Fedora seems to have a release schedule of every 6 month ( which is in line with
other distributions like SuSE ), but support security patches and bug fixes for
deprecated fedora releases is only for 2-3 months[1].  Whilst say for SuSE, you
have a release every 6 months, and official support for patches for 2 years.

For a Debian stable system, you should get patches for ever!  Though of course
it will move from the Sarge to the Etch release one day, but you should be able
to do an online upgrade ( no need to reinstall or boot from a distribution CD
).

So my question is:-
How do you deal with security fixes and patches for BLAG ?  Especially if people
are running Blag on a server.

[1] from the Fedora FAQ http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/

"Q:  	What is the errata policy for The Fedora Project?

A:      Security updates, bugfix updates, and new feature updates will all be
available, through Red Hat and third parties. Updates may be staged (first made
available for public qualification, then later for general consumption) when
appropriate. In drastic cases, we may remove a package from The Fedora Project
if we judge that a necessary security update is too problematic/disruptive to
the larger goals of the project. Availability of updates should not be
misconstrued as support for anything other than continued development and
innovation of the code base. Updates will be available for two to three months
after the release of the subsequent version; that is, updates for Fedora Core 1
will be provided for two to three months after the release of Fedora Core 2,
and so forth. "

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily