[AktiviX-discuss] help: threatened with copyright on art and ideas

max* max at tofubandits.org.uk
Tue Apr 18 13:53:56 UTC 2006

hi all,

does anyone have any experiences of dealing with threats re: copyright
infringments? any advice on how to deal with this? anyone been in similar
situations?

we've just received this email;

"Dear 'seeds for change',

I have contacted the organisation three times already without a response.
I am one of the co-creators of the Blob Tree which was published in 1988
by Marshall Pickering. It was copyrighted to Pip Wilson and myself, Ian
Long. We have asked that the 'Jelly Baby Tree be taken off the web site as
it infringes our copyright. We have had to contact several organisations,
including Government agencies, who have agreed to take your resource off
their websites.

We would like to deal with this problem sooner rather than later. Could we
have some communication with the relevant person?

Thank you

Ian Long"

It refers to an exercise that one of the seeds for change collective came up
with a few years ago (available at:
http://seedsforchange.org.uk/free/tree.pdf ). That was a long time before
we'd ever seen or heard of the "blob tree".

Now we're being asked to remove it because somebody else claims copyright. The
blob tree seems to be 'older' than our tree, going by date of publication.

We find it particularly ironic since all our work is @nti-copyright. we want
people to tkae our work, use it, change it, expand it! note that the sender
of the email claims to have been asking other people to take OUR resource of
their websites, even though we give express permision to all to use our
materials.

any advice on how to deal with this? anyone been in similar situations?

all help appreciated :-)

max