[AktiviX-discuss] aktivix list server .. proposed changes ?

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Jan 4 10:50:30 UTC 2006

Aktivix List server

We've set up another list server which we can move the aktivix hosted mail lists
to. (http://lists.aktivix.org )

This has a number of improvements to the existing server
1.its a dedicated machine to providing email lists
2.it has better security
3.The process of creating lists doesn't require any privileged access to the
server and can be done from a web interface

The machine is currently hosting http://lists.burntout.org ( for testing
purposes )  and if anybody wants the lists creation password drop by
irc://irc.indymedia.org/#aktivix  and ask

We can continue to migrate the lists to the new box ( which will (apart from
changes mentioned above ) be pretty similar for list users and list admins ) ,
or make some more fundamental changes

1.Change the archiver to either Mhonarc[1] or Lurker[2]instead of Pipermail
2.Add some of the patches from http://lists.indymedia.org/patches/

My feelings are
1.Its worth looking at a different archiver ( I'd try Lurker )
2.I don't feel comfortable supporting a patched mailman.  The most requested
feature AFAIK is ability to hide post from the list admin interface.  The
advice I recd was not to bother with this patch
“
> nice thanks .. would you describe mmid_hide_posts has a "shouldnt be
> used" and do you think it'll be difficult to apply it to 2.1.6 ?

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend using that. The reason is that all
existing archives need to be moved out of the way so that there is no
danger of any existing X-Mailman-Id headers representing a security risk
or breaking the archiver. It is also an attempt to fix pipermail, which
I think is the wrong approach - using another archiver (such as lurker)
is more appropriate.”

[1] http://www.mhonarc.org/
[2] http://lurker.sourceforge.net/

Comments ??

PS before the G8 we were relaying approaching 10000 email per day. This dropped
off dramatically for the 2 weeks at the beginning of July

see http://www.burngreave.net/mailscanner-mrtg/mail/mail.html

--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily