[AktiviX-discuss] gmail

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Wed Nov 29 16:34:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 04:03:25PM +0100, Alexandre Buisse wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 15:56:46 +0100, ana wrote:
>
> An "easy" criticism of hotmail is that it tends to automatically discard
> messages from hosts that are thought of being spam prone. I've talked
> with numerous people who couldn't send an email to a @hotmail.com
> address for that reason.

Exactly! I have had this problem myself and a friend of mine ended
up cancelling a whole project because certain key players had (unknown
to him) not been receiving his emails - they all had Hotmail addresses.

Hotmail is incredibly badly broken and they refuse to do anything
about it or even acknowledge that they have a problem. My ISP
(Black Cat Networks) have been struggling with this issue and
they ended up deciding to configure their mail hub not to forward
any mail to Hotmail accounts that get a Spam Assasin score of over
five because what Hotmail seems to be doing is blackholing email
from machines that they judge to be senders of spam.

Trouble is, Hotmail's judgement of what constitutes spam is
ludicrous! I created myself a Hotmail account for test purposes
and when I send a simple email that I have crafted to be as
un-spammy as possible Hotmail throws it straight in my spam folder
(assuming it gets past their email muncher in the first place).

Black Cat Networks have a page about it (they are getting the same
problem with AOL):

http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/support/spam-forwarding

They have even linked it to my page called "The Black Hole Called
Hotmail" (it is proper XHTML which means that it can't be viewed
useing MSIE because Microsoft have not bothered writing an XHTML
parser):

http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/internet/hotmail.xhtml

I know spam is a growing problem, but in implementing their anti-spam
system, Hotmail seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/