[AktiviX-discuss] Why is the security certificate bad?

Paul M tallpaul at ml1.net
Sun Dec 2 18:21:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 17:21 +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> You have kindly just set up an email list for me, for discussion on
> mental health issues (evolvingminds at aktivix.org). Thanks for this, but
> I've had a query from someone who wants to join the list who is worried
> because her browser is telling her that the site's security certificate
> is bad. She wants to subscribe but isn't willing to look at the site
> when there is a box telling her there's a problem. Personally, I just
> ignore these messages, as I'm not sure what these certificates really
> count for anyhow, but she isn't willing to do this, so I wanted to ask
> if someone could say why this is happening?

It isn't a bad certificate just one not recognised by her browser.

The certificate is issued by cacert.org a new community driven
certifying authority that issues free certificates, in contrast to
commercial certificate authorities which typically charge hundreds of
dollars for a certificate (the one I use at work charges £128 for 1
year). It is a relatively new organisation and while the root
certificates have been excepted by several linux/unix distributions they
are not yet bundled with any browsers though the are moves to include it
with mozilla/firefox.

More information on cacert on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAcert.org

It is possible to remove the warning if you decide to trust cacert.org
to sign certficates (and I do) by installing the root certificate.
Go to:
http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

and click on the one of the links at the top (PEM format) then follow
your browsers instructions.

Paul M